Wednesday, August 31, 2011

TOB Shenanigans. August 27th, Entry #85.

Sara:  Theology of the Body.  It's great, I love it, I really do.  But I love it even more when fun drawings and hilarious conversations come from it.  Take this past Sunday, for example.

I was describing to the students how God is a Community of Persons in the Trinity and that this community of persons was (and still is) created out of and for love.  Even better, the love between a man and a woman is an image of the love of the Trinity.  Righteous, I know.  So, here is the picture Aaron drew on the board.


#1 - The Giraffe - Adam was not called to love a giraffe, he was called to love Eve, one who was "bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh".  Not giraffes.  Even poorly drawn giraffes.  Still better than I would be able to do.

#2 - The Poptarts - God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit were hanging out in Heaven one day, eating some Poptarts, and decided to share the love of their Trinity and so they created Man in their image and likeness and called him to love.  Duh.

Now, apparently our talk inspired some of the kiddos to borrow some books written on Theology of the Body, especially the ones written by JPII.  Here is conversation that followed:

Hailey: "For my homework, I have to write down the top 10 most important books for every human being to read. I need one more, what should I put?"
Jordan: "Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtyla!"
Hailey: "I thought Pope John Paul II wrote that??"
Jordan
: "He did."
Hailey: "Oh yeah! He said all those speeches and SHE wrote them in a book!"
Jordan: "Shmay, KAROL is JP2 before he became the Pope, NOT A GIRL."


Thank you Hailey and Jordy for letting my reprint this lovely dialogue....even though I haven't asked, that's OK, right?  Great!

Regardless of the shenanigans, I LOVE that teens are evening having conversations, albeit ridiculous ones, about Theology of the Body and getting into the presentation enough to make jokes about giraffes and poptarts.  Good things are happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment