Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Duties as Assigned. November 23rd, Entry #44.

Sara:  I spent 2 hours this morning tying yarn to paper Christmas tree ornaments.  You might be wondering, how does this fit into your job description?  I feel that I must enlighten you to a particular phrase that was included in my job description and contract: duties as assigned.  This phrase is the bane of my youth minister existence.  This phrase has led me to tasks such as but not limited to: sticking plastic pockets to the back covers of the hymnals (check for them the next time you are at mass), folding 750 Triduum booklets, collecting said Triduumm booklets after the Easter Vigil, setting up 500 chairs for mass...in heels, taking 1900 letters to the post office, removing paint from rocks with nail polish remover, buying 1000 ice cream bars, stopping gushing toilets, cutting hundreds of strips of fabric to line the book holders in the pews (check the pews), ordering toy plastic shovels from Japan, burning the ends of thousands of strings for rosary making (and burning our fingers a lot too), and yes, tying string to paper ornaments. 

Just in case you don't believe me:


My boss is one clever lady.  You throw something like this in at the bottom of a contract, get the sucker (namely me) to sign it and then they can never complain about having to do menial, random and totally unrelated tasks.  Darn it...she is always one step ahead of me.

And just in case anyone forgot:


Yes, I do have a college degree actually.  And you see that gold sticker at the bottom, it says "with honors".  Yes, I graduated with honors. It takes someone extra smart to tie yarn.  Don't you be forgetting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment