Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ex-FLOCKers. November 22nd, Entry #43.

Sara:  There is one thing that no one ever warned me about in this job...that when your kiddos go off to college they don't just disappear.  You're still going to have a relationship with them...a relationship that will continue to grow.  I did not think of this 6 years ago when I started this job.  And then my first group of seniors graduated...and we still talked, and they still emailed and called me with questions and for advice.  Huh.  Didn't see that one coming.  But it has been a great blessing over the years to watch these awesome kiddos go out on their own, grow, struggle, grow some more, question, make good choices, make bad choices, grow even more and then become awesome young adults.  It is very rewarding.

And I say this because some fabulous ex-FLOCKers are back in town for Thanksgiving break right now.  And I had the very fortunate pleasure to chat with one of them for 2 hours yesterday.  My dearest Kaitlin Long....I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love Kaitlin??  This girl has the biggest and best heart EVER!  She's beautiful in EVERY sense of the word, she lights up any room she enters and she makes everyone she knows feel like the most important person in the world.  If you know her, you know I am not making any of this up.  It was great to hear about college, her classes, her new friends, her house, challenges, struggles, excitements, her joy.  We've been in touch ever since she left, sharing cool quotes we've come across, really cool blogs, dumb boy stories, good boy stories and equally giving advice.

Because not only do I still have a relationship with these kiddos, but now we also have an adult relationship.  It's not just mentor/mentee anymore....it's equal.  Kaitlin was one of the first people that I told about a cool personal development in my life, she's my friend, I wanted to tell her.  It's just neat.  Neat to watch the growth and development.  It makes me excited for the future.  It makes me that much more aware that I have the best job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment