Sunday, October 31, 2010

Perspective. October 28th, Entry #34.

Sara: I love perspective...it makes you look at things in a different way, or, in this case, it made me realize something I had never thought of before.

I was having a 1-on-1 with one of my fab high schooler leaders this afternoon, we'll call her Jordan (mostly b/c that's her actual name).  We were talking about college and she was worried that she won't be able to pick one because, so far, she has liked all the ones she has visited.  Then I told her that she's just going to have to sit back and listen to God...he'll make sure she picks the right one.

Then I recounted the divine intervention that sent me to KU.  And I told her how God must have had a hand in that because if I'd gone somewhere else I probably wouldn't have gotten involved in a campus center, or found my faith, or learned about my faith and there was NO WAY I would have the job I do now.  Wow, my life would be so much different!

And then Jordan spoke...and kind of rocked my world.  She said, "Do you know how many OTHER people's lives would be different?  How many people's lives you've touched and changed?"  And Jordan, I don't know if you realized this, but I had a serious mouth-hanging open moment.  I'd never thought of that.  I've really never sat down and thought about how other people's live might be different.  I just think about getting from one Sunday to the next and not embarrassing myself or sending any kids home with broken bones.

I'm hard on myself in this job and I just haven't ever thought that I might be making a difference in someone else's life.  I mean, what could I possibly do or say that could affect someone?  Yeah, of course the other Youth Ministers around town are changing kids' lives...they're awesome at their jobs.  But me....ehh, I'm just getting though. 

And while I am still going to be hard on myself, thank you Jordan for the persepctive, if even for the afternoon.  Thanks for helping me remember what's important. :)

This really is the greatest job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment