Sunday, October 31, 2010

Matt Maher makes me pee my pants. October 30th, Entry #35

Sara: Last night we saw Matt Maher.  ASKGFKHSKHFLJAOYRKCNASLJJCNAP!!  There isn't a word in the English language that can describe how much I HEART Matt Maher.  Even as I sit here listening to him right now, I cannot come up with words to write because I am just ALHLWHLNCVOL with him.

Ok, let me tell you why I HEART Matt Maher so much.  I don't typically care for Christian music because it usually isn't good music...the lyrics are fine, but the music itself is basic.  But Matt, he nails it.  His music is GOOD.  As for the lyrics....profound, really.  I think this comes from his understanding of his Catholic faith.  His music is grounded in the sacraments, the scripture and God's revelation to us.  His latest album, Alive Again, is broken down to cover Christ's journey to us and for us, namely (1) his Revelation of himself to us, (2) his Incarnation, (3) his Communion with our humanity and (4) his Restoration of our lives through his sacrifice.  I have goosebumps a little.  Brilliant.

Highlights from the night:

#1 I should preface that Matt Maher was just an opening band for Tenth Ave. North.  But, when he came on stage, we went NUTS!!  People around us were looking at us weird because they had never even heard of him.  You're welcome Open Door Baptist Church....we are happy to share the love.

#2 My arm is sore from all the fist pumping at "you called and you SHOUTED!" (well that and the Frisbee golf I played that afternoon)

#3 He's "one of us".  Yup, he's a Catholic.  We just loved that.  There aren't a lot of Catholic Christian artists that are rocking it.  We're proud to call him one of our own.

#4 Evelyn and Olivia were having SUCH a good time (dancing, singing and generally rocking it) that the 2 ladies next to them switched spots.  Ha!  I think their enthusiasm scared them just a bit.

#5 My girls.  I took 9 girls to this show.  Last minute.  I just threw it out there that Matt was in town and we should go.  They dropped what they were doing to come.  Evelyn came from her State Cross Country Meet and then an Art show, didn't even have time to shower, but jumped in the van, excited.  Mackenzie came straight back from a college visit so she wouldn't miss it. Hailey didn't even know she was going until the day of.  You girls are awesome.   

#6 Check out this shirt.  Super sweet.  The girls all agreed to wear them to school on Monday.  Love the witness.


#7 We got a shout out from the 2nd band.  She was so overwhelmed by the excitement of the crowd.  And then she pointed to a group of guys on the side and said "these guys are having their own dance party over there.  They need to hook up with those girls back there who keep yelling and dancing".  Yup,  that was us.  What up??

#8 Clifford.  I got to drive a 15 passenger van.  Clifford, the big red van.  I felt like I was driving a bus!  Check that off the bucket list.

I guess I should also point out that the other 2 bands were awesome too.  You should check them out: Addison Road and Tenth Avenue North.  You really should.
The lead singers of all the bands for the encore.

Ok, I could write tons more about MM, but let's be honest, this post is already long enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment